What do you first think of when you hear Croatia? For me, I never really knew what to think up until about a year ago when I started watching Game of Thrones and found that the a lot of the filming for the show was done in Croatia - specifically the cities of Split and Dubrovnik.
Upon landing in Split, I was beyond excited to see the places that helped bring Meereen and Kings Landing to life! (However, we landed at night time...so there was a lot left to the imagination.) The next morning, we started the day mesmerized by the views from our airbnb. Split truly was an amazing beach city with beautiful typography!
After getting settled we took a stroll to the Split Mall, which had amazing views of the Adriatic Sea! Between our general wanderings and an extensive GoT tour, we were able to really get a good sense of the history, culture, and geography of Split. I highly recommend that everyone makes a trip out to Croatia if you can.
I know you cannot generalize entire cities, but everyone we met along the way so nice, friendly, and helpful! I already want to plan my next trip. But before you go, here are some tips to have a successful trips in Croatia:
- Bring walking shoes! You will walk. A lot.
- Carry a small bottle of water around with you during the day - especially if you plan on doing some hiking!
- Don't forget your swimsuit. If you do, like I did, no worries they have some cute ones at the mall.
- Stay in and Airbnb or talk with a lot of locals. They will tell you the best places to eat and fun things to do.
- Visit the beach! Unlike the beaches on the east coast, it actually smells good. Sorry, not sorry Atlantic ocean.
- Give yourself enough time to explore the city. We were only there for 3/4 days and I wish I had budgeted an entire week.
- Finally...do not go in the middle of summer! It is peak tourist season, but I'm not sure how because it reaches epic levels of heat. Don't get me wrong, I'm a summer person and prefer hot to cold any day, but this was next level weather.
We had a great dinner on the beach our second night in Split (pictured above), and when I figure out the name of the restaurant I'll be sure to let you all know! One of my favorite parts about Split was simply having the time to chill by the beach, read a bit of my book, and talk with my sisters. Croatia is a country I definitelysee myself visiting again.
No matter what, you will have a great time in Split! It's a seafood lovers paradise and a great place for some much needed R&R. For a more in-depth look at our time in Split, check out my vlog below! If you have been to Split (or anywhere in Croatia) let me know what your favorite thing is in the comments below!!